First things first, each sign material entails its own positives and downsides, depending on the type signage you’re creating. However, when you compare their durability in serving/bolstering your business, you need to know the differences.
- If you’re using vinyl adhesive to make your signage, you can cut it into letters and shapes. You can use the material in floor decals, window stickers, vehicle wraps, and shirt printing and more.
- You can make vinyl with varying types of materials, which means they produce different effects. However, they all can withstand several environmental conditions.
- The calendared vinyl is very common. It’s ideal for businesses that don’t necessitate bigger printed stuff. The lifespan is roughly 3-6 years.
- The cast vinyl is of a much better quality. It often entails the longest life expectancy that range from 5-12 years.
- You also have the fluorescent and metalized polyester type. You design this specific form of vinyl material to create flashy and decorative ad graphics. That’s precisely why their life expectancies don’t exceed two years.
About the material
When looking for material to make your business signage, vinyl is the common choice. You can combine the material with polyester to create a composite fabric that has waterproof features and top-notch durability.
- The vinyl fabric is characteristically fire-retardant. The best part is, it’s flexible and light, which means don’t need to carry a bulky, heavy sign to your conference or trade show. Vinyl signs are the ideal solution.
- So, the material you’re using for your signage will always matter because fabrics entail a wide spectrum of features.
- For instance, you’re not in favor of installing a canvas sign if you’re going to hang the signage and expose it to the elements. Do note that canvas, like any other natural components are susceptible to damage. They can fall apart any moment.
- You need to replace canvas signs more often than your vinyl signs, which propel more costs.
- Using a poster or paper board might resonate with your meeting or the next corporate presentation, but for business banners or signs, no material comes remotely close to vinyl.
- Poster and paper board can easily suffer wear and tear. Vinyl is a superb sign fabric because of its inherent ability to allow extensive printing. It’s also very flexible.
- While poster board signage can’t withstand travelling rigors or time, vinyl can withstand water, wind, and exhaustion.
Other types of vinyl
Apart from the common adhesive vinyl, you also have the permanent outdoor vinyl. It’s perfect for signs, mugs, tumblers, vehicle lettering, car decals, and most outdoor signage solutions. There are clear, solvent adhesives that can last 4-9 years outdoors. Despite the ‘permanent’ tag, you can remove it with some thermal power and patience.
Another popular type is glitter adhesive vinyl. It can be a unique and fun way to add richness and sparkle to your project, sign, or tumbler. The etched glass vinyl is gaining popularity these days. You can use it for creating astounding designs that give the impression of etching an object in glass.
You can create a unique wine glass or add a scenic monogram or design to your glass door with etched glass vinyl.