Monetize a blog? Between those who believe that you can’t make money with a blog and those who think that all you need to do is put a few ads on their site and everything will happen on its own… there is a margin! The reality is quite different: yes, it is possible to earn a lot of money with a blog and, no, it will not happen by “magic” just by sprinkling it with links of all kinds.
We will give you here 4 tips to follow to make your site profitable and website monetization. It starts with knowing the different types of monetization well, then the need to think about your strategy at this level. Then, you have to think about optimization: respect a few key principles to increase click-through and purchase rates and create your own products.
Understanding The Different Axes Of Monetization
Not all forms of monetization are created equal in terms of financial return. Here are the different categories, listed in ascending order of profitability:
- Adsense, the simplest and fastest form of monetization to implement but which only generates “crumbs” for you;
- Amazon and affiliate platforms, more attractive but still limited returns;
- Sponsored articles and links, either through specialized agencies or directly by contacting companies, sites or other bloggers who sell products;
- Direct affiliations, including both the affiliation programs of coaches, trainers, authors but also companies or freelancers that you can contact directly to offer them to relay their products and services;
- Selling your own products, by far the most profitable monetization.
Have A Real Strategy And A Good Mindset
Have an entrepreneur or investor mentality because you don’t earn 1000€ the day after creating your blog, so think strategy, adopt rigor and patience.
The first thing is to give an image of trust and professionalism: a design, professional hosting, and quality content. Thus, what you are going to offer or promote will already have a completely different impact.
Start by putting quality content, give your audience, and provide solutions, advice, and value. What does not prevent you from creating your content, your sections according to what you have in mind to sell later, it is strategic.
When refining your monetization, choosing your affiliations, choose quality products.
Optimize Click Rate And Purchases
It is important to choose targeted monetization’s according to your theme or the subject of your page or article. Imagine, a real estate agency that would offer baskets of fruit and vegetables at the entrance, do you think that will work and what do you think of the non-professional image that it will generate?
You also have to keep in mind that too much advertising kills advertising. Do not smear your blog with advertising banners, use text links instead of images and hide your affiliate links (with the Pretty Link plugin for example).
A little in the same spirit, do not promote x products on the same page or article: you risk losing the focus of your visitor. This does not prevent you, moreover, from creating a “Shop” page where you list several of them.
To create a blog that works don’t forget the creation of a mailing list, it’s the best way to stay in touch with your visitors, to make them come back to your blog and thus to promote your products to them. And memberships.
Create Your Product
It’s an option to consider even if, today, you don’t have one: you necessarily have a passion, an expertise… and it doesn’t matter what form you give it (eBook, coaching, online training, member area …), there is necessarily a way to offer your content for sale.
There are two key points to keep in mind when creating your products:
- Showcase this product more on your blog than the other affiliates present;
- Consider from the start to decline your products in derivatives or complements of these because it is easier to sell to someone who has already bought from you than to a new customer.
There are many ways to make money with your website, as you have seen. It’s up to you to try them out and test for yourself which ones suit you best.