Shonda Rhimes is a renowned American author, screenwriter as well as a television producer who is best known for her work as the creator, executive producer, head writer, and showrunner of Grey’sAnatomy, Private Practice and Scandal. She has also served as a producer on other television shows such as Off The Map, The Catch, and How To Get Away With Murder.
Shonda has earned a massive amount of money from her successful career.
What is Shonda Rhimes’s Net Worth in 2019?
Shonda Rhimes Net Worth and Salary: Shonda Rhimes has accumulated the net worth of around $140 Million as of 2019. She has garnered her net worth from her multiple jobs as an author, screenwriter, and producer. Shonda longtime-running TV series including Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder, and few more series has aided income to her wealth.
|Net Worth in 2019||$140 million|
|Net Worth in 2018||Under Review|
|Annual Salary||Under Review|
|Income Source||Author, Screenwriter, Director|
She earned around $10 million per year from ABC for the last three years. In total, her series has reportedly generated at least $2 billion in revenue for ABC’s owner Disney from advertising, syndication sales as well as an international licensing. However, her current annual salary is still missing from the media. She has worked in the Disney film The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement as a screenwriter. Though the movie didn’t awe the audiences, it managed to earn more than $135 million at the box office.
With several hit shows under her belt and several more on the way, we can safely say that Shonda deserves every penny of her net worth seeing how hard she has worked for it. Also, Shonda is enjoying her net worth and living lavishly in an expensive mansion worth around $7 million in the United States. The information regarding car collection is still missing from the media.
Shonda Rhimes’s Career
- Shonda Rhimes started her career as an intern at Mundy Lane Entertainment under the supervision of producer Debra Martin Chase.
- This helped her to understand the actual meaning of working in the entertainment world.
- After that, she started doing random jobs to support her needs after graduation.
- Her life was not as easy as she has to face different sorts of difficulties and rejection from her work. Nevertheless, Shonda learned from her failures to work even harder.
Her Career as Author
In the year 2015, Shonda published her first book, a memoir, Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand in the Sun, and Be Your Own Person.
Movies and TV Series
She has involved in the making of the documentary Hank Aaron: Chasing the Dream as a research director. Shonda has co-written the HBO movie Introducing Dorothy Dandridge which was highly appreciated by the audiences. Moreover, she has worked in the Disney movie The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement as a screenwriter. In the year 2003, she wrote a TV pilot for ABC.
As a child, Shonda used to view documentaries about doctors and their way of working with her sister. This inspired Shonda to write the ABC series Grey’s Anatomy. The series helped her to boost her career in the entertainment industry. Some of the major works are Scandal, How to get away with the Murder, Station 19, and many more.
Awards and Nominations of Shonda Rhimes
For her dedication and excellent work, Shonda Rhimes has won a Golden Globe Award and was nominated for three Emmy Awards. Also, she has won awards from the Writer’s Guild of America, Producer’s Guild of America, and Director’s Guild of America.
Master’s degree from the USC School of Cinematic Arts
Shonda attended the Marian Catholic High School in Illinois and later Dartmouth College where she majored in English and film studies. While in school Rhimes joined the Black Underground Theater Association which lead to her splitting her time between directing, performing, and writing. She graduated from Dartmouth in the year 1991.
After college, Shonda relocated to San Francisco and started working in McCann Erickson, a global advertising firm. After that, she relocated to Los Angeles and began studying screenwriting at the University of Southern California where she was at the top of her class, earning her the Gary Rosenberg Writing Fellowship. She completed her master’s degree from the USC School of Cinematic Arts.
Interesting Facts of Shonda Rhimes
- Shonda Rhimes was born as Shonda Lynn Rhimes on 13th January 1970 in Chicago, Illinois, the United States of America.
- As of 2019, her age is 49 years old and her horoscope is Capricorn.
- She is the youngest daughter of Vera Rhimes (father) and IIee Rhimes (mother).
- Her father was a former chief Information officer while her mother was a college professor.
- She grew up with her three sisters and two brothers.
- Shonda holds an American nationality and belongs to mixed ethnical background.
- She has attended the Marian Catholic High School and later, graduated in English and Film Studies from Dartmouth College.
- She started her career as an intern at Mundy Lane Entertainment.
- Shonda has an estimated net worth of around $140 million as of 2019.
- She is the mother of three children, Emerson, Harper, and Beckett Rhimes.
- She stands at a height of 5 feet 6 inches and her body weight is around 74 kg.
- Shonda is active on various social networking sites like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.